My second case study is going to focus on the editorial virtual assistant work I carry out for a magazine editor. I provide this client with regular VA support, assisting with many tasks that help her to get each monthly issue published on time.
A magazine editor who publishes a new issue at the start of every month. She was previously struggling to get each magazine ready to the standard she requires by every deadline date. Juggling contributions, article writing, image sourcing and more, it was proving very difficult for her to achieve everything by herself.
Work I carry out for her
- For each monthly issue, I support her with a variety of tasks to ensure the magazine is published on time and to a high standard.
- I assist her with planning each issue: I help her to create a running order, organise folders in Google Drive, create deadline dates in Google Calendar and set up the next issue using InDesign.
- All articles submitted by contributing writers are proofread and edited if my client requests for them to be included in the next issue.
- I research information on particular topics when requested by my client and source images.
- Using InDesign, I design and edit the magazine layout. I upload images, articles and interviews, adverts to be featured and so on. The client may specify requests for the layout of individual pages or I create the page by myself for approval from my client.
How the work I carry out helps her
- My client was previously struggling to complete all tasks by herself and was feeling completely overwhelmed. By providing her with regular support and taking tasks off her hands, she now feels more organised and in control of her deadlines, which are always met without fail.
- By outsourcing tasks to me, my client is now able to focus on the tasks she prefers to do and that are important to her magazine, such as writing her own articles, sourcing contributors and advertisers, and editing the magazine as a whole.
- Creating a system of organised folders makes it easier for her to find what she needs at any time, saving valuable time and increasing efficiency for us both.
- Due to having more available time and a helping pair of hands, my client is now able to increase the length of each magazine issue and also spend more time perfecting the look and editorial content of each issue, so that her magazines are exactly what she hoped they would be.
- Issues that have a good length, are well designed and full of interesting content has meant that readership numbers are ever-increasing.
Ready to outsource tasks so you can focus on the most important aspects of your business? Get in touch today.